Church wide initiative aimed at connecting with every church family and establishing a rhythm of church life while Covid-19 restrictions continue.
Realising that the need to maintain connection among members has never been more challenging For now is an important church wide initiative for every congregation.
The initiative has two parts:-
For now – Belonging to church in unusual times: a booklet for every family supplied free of charge to congregations for distribution.
For now – being the church in unusual times: a parallel set of six, free downloadable group Bible studies, usable in digital or in-person gatherings, offering flexible frameworks for teaching and discussion encouraging leaders and core members to be practical and creative in this season of church life in developing what is possible for now.
Booklets – For now: Belonging to church in unusual times
To provide a way for congregations to simply and safely retain connection with every family while restrictions continue to curtail normal church activities.
The booklet contains:
- a message from the Moderator;
- a devotional piece and prayer;
- suggested readings from the Psalms;
- practical suggestions and encouragement to every family to maintain connection with their congregation while regular worship and rhythms of church life continue to experience disruption.
Download the booklet from the download box.
Delivery to your congregation
Booklets will be couriered to each manse to arrive during week commencing Monday 18 January 2021. Where a congregation is vacant, the booklets will be delivered to the clerk of session.
Distribution to your members
Each booklet will be individually packaged to ensure they can then be distributed virus free to members. It will be important to comply with best practice and restrictions in place to ensure safe distribution of this literature during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Some general guidance is provided below, however booklets should not be distributed until the most recently announced period of cessation of church activities has ended, or during any subsequent period of restriction on person to person contact.
It is hoped that the dispatch of the booklets in advance of that moment gives opportunity to put preparations in place to distribute to members in the most timely and efficient way for your congregation when the easing of current restrictions allow.
General guidance for distribution:
- Leaving bundles of booklets untouched for 72 hours after arrival and before pick up by those who are distributing them will ensure they are infection free.
- You could organise for elders and/or others to deliver the booklets to individual homes – either posting through the letterbox, or ringing or knocking, leaving the booklet on the ground to be picked up by those who answer the door and stepping back two metres for a quick, socially distanced conversation.
- You could distribute the booklets to families attending worship as they leave.
- You should not leave resources for collection by families at a central point to be picked up at Sunday worship as this will create a pinch point for those entering or leaving at the end of the service.
Bible Studies – For now: being the church in unusual times
A parallel set of six, freely downloadable, group Bible studies usable in digital or in-person gatherings, offering flexible frameworks for teaching and discussion encouraging leaders and core members to be practical and creative in this season of church life in developing what is possible for now in the following areas:
- Caring for one another
- Following Jesus together
- Engaging with God in worship
- Encouraging young people
- Encouraging families with younger children
- Sharing our faith
Download for free from the download box on this page.