Ilona has been serving as a global mission worker in Romania since 1993 and Csaba since 1998. They both currently serve in the DIAKONIA, the Hungarian Reformed Church’s social action ministry in Transylvania (in north west Romania), which was founded in 2001.
Csaba is the coordinator of children’s and family ministry for socially disadvantaged children in seven villages in his home county of Salaj. His work involves administration, supporting and resourcing staff to enable them to minister to marginalised families through educational programmes and family support. Csaba works closely alongside local Reformed congregations and local councils in each village to bring the good news to needy families and help those living in poverty.
Ilona works as educator and family worker with a Roma community in the village of Méra. Her day to day work involves teaching in the afterschool programme, as well as adult literacy, family support, Bible teaching, women’s fellowship and evangelism.
For the past 18 years, Csaba and Ilona’s summer months have been spent organising and leading Bible camps, holiday bible clubs, evangelistic youth events and programmes, often partnered by teams from the Presbyterian Church of Ireland.
Prior to working in the Diakonia Csaba was the general secretary of the Hungarian Reformed Church’s youth board, and Ilona ministered at Aksza Centre for street children in the city of Cluj. Ilona grew up in Sloan Street Presbyterian Church, Lisburn and Csaba in the Hungarian Reformed Church in his hometown of Zalau. Csaba and Ilona have two daughters in their late teens.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, Csaba and Ilona have continued to serve in Romania and have adapted their work and witness to comply with local restrictions. Their work when restricted has included socially distanced visiting, online meetings and supporting children with home schooling by providing lap tops to some children who did not have one.
- Give thanks for the work of God through the Diakonia over the past 18 years, bringing help and dignity to needy communities across Transylvania through education, healthcare, community development and Bible teaching.
- Praise God for those Roma who have come to faith in Christ. Pray that they will grow in faith and be faithful witnesses to God’s power and grace, and that God’s kingdom would continue to spread among the Roma.
- Pray for Csaba and Ilona and the staff of the Diakonia, for teachers, social workers, educators who minister to the Roma communities daily. Ask God to bless their special skills and give them hearts of compassion and opportunities to share their faith in a clear and sensitive way.
- Pray too for the Veres family.
Csaba and Ilona have recorded two film clips (a short 3 minute clip and longer 15 minute clip) which can be downloaded and used in church services, prayer meetings or events to raise awareness and prayer for what God is doing across the world, as we seek to go deep and wide in global mission involvement.
(For previous Digital Dispatches video clips click here)
The LORD’s teachings are perfect. They give strengthto his people.
The LORD’s rules can be trusted. They help even thefoolish become wise.
The LORD’s laws are right. They make people happy.
The LORD’s commands are good. They show people the right way to live.
As we look back over the summer camps, our hearts are thankful for the many opportunities to share the Word of God with children and young people. Heavy rain and localised flooding brought an early end to the first camp of the summer, and sadly three cars transporting the children back to their village became flood damaged and had to be repaired. Despite the dramatic ending to the camp, with children and leaders having to walk part of the way through the forest, we praise God for safety and for clear teaching through the story of God’s unlimited love, forgiveness and compassion for Jonah.
Csaba was one of the referees at this year’s Gypsy mission national afterschool football championship and took time to encourage fair play, forgiveness and fun. It was encouraging to see the level of support from the after- schools, congregations, and local council in the village of Esztár. Give thanks for Denes and Timea and their work with the championship and ongoing ministry among children in Esztár.
This September many children in struggling communities return to school and to afterschool programmes. The Diakonia staff continue to share the love of God with families in need of financial, social, health or educational support.
- Please pray that God’s Word would bear fruit in the lives of the children. Pray they would understand the gospel and give their hearts to Christ.
- Give thanks for the church team from Hajdúböszörmény and Krisztian and the team in Bodaszőlő, who faithfully share Jesus with the needy community around them.
- Pray for the team in Bodaszőlő to grow in wisdom, Bible knowledge and faith, so they can continue to share Jesus in word and deed with the community.
- Pray for the Diakonia staff in Salaj County as they bring the love of Jesus to families and teach, support and nurture children. Pray God will equip, inspire, and strengthen them at the start of the school year.
- As meetings to discuss our next placement and possibilities for service continue, we would ask for prayer for God’s wisdom and direction.
To download a printable PDF of this bulletin or for a previous bulletin visit the Mission Reports listing at the top or the Global Mission monthly bulletin archive.