Derek and Jane French were commissioned for service in Spain at a service held in Drumbo Presbyterian in January 2011.
By June 2001 they were settled in Valencia where they began to work in the Levante Presbytery of the Spanish Evangelical Church (IEE), principally involved in evangelism.
At the beginning of 2007, Derek and Jane moved to Bilbao in northern Spain to take up a new assignment with Grupos Bíblicos Unídos (GBU) – a Christian student organisation affiliated to the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). Their work with GBU principally involves evangelism among students and the discipling of Christian students. GBU’s vision is to reach all non-Christian students with the gospel and to develop student leadership which, in the future, should contribute to the growth of evangelical churches in Spain. GBU also seeks to contribute to the transformation of Spanish society through evangelical graduates and professionals who have been helped by GBU. Derek and Jane have two adopted children.
Several people have shown an interest in joining the team in this coming year. As always there is a great need for more team members. In particular we are still looking for a full-time staff worker for GBU in Northern Spain (perhaps based in Bilbao). Timmy continues to work alongside us and is based in San Sebastian.
The marriage course which commenced in January in Bilbao International Church is off to a good start, with five couples involved and more interested in joining. There are several non-Christians in the group and it is encouraging to see their interest and participation. We are thankful for the openness of the group and the willingness to learn.
Moclam, the online theology course, is going well and we would love to see more sign up to study this course, which gives a great foundation for any Christian wanting to be involved in serving God. Raising up strong, biblically-based leaders is key to the work here in Spain.
Derek has been experiencing a lot of pain in the past months due to a nerve that was previously damaged being aggravated. It is causing a lot of discomfort for him. He attends physiotherapy twice a week and we really pray that it will alleviate the pain for him.
We are looking towards the future and seeking God’s guidance as we serve him here in Spain. At the moment, we are involved in various ministries and are praying for God to show us where we should concentrate our focus. There are many needs here in Spain and we continue to pray for more workers.
- Pray for the students who are considering coming to Spain this year, that God would clearly guide them and direct them to the right ministry and place. Continue to pray for the provision of more workers.
- Pray for those attending the marriage course. Pray that it would help to enrich the marriages of those attending and that we would have the joy of seeing people come to Christ through it.
- Pray that God would raise up national leaders who are grounded in God’s Word and have a heart for the gospel.
- Pray for Derek’s health, for relief from the pain and wisdom in how to move forward.
- Pray too that God would guide us as a family with regards to ministry and the future.
General Prayer Points
- Christian students to catch the vision of being evangelists and making disciples at university and that this would continue as they enter the working world.
- Good relationships between the student work and the local churches.
- For a team of graduates to come and help out with the work of GBU in the seven cites in the North of Spain.
- For the continued development and use of a theological training course in Spain that benefits not only the students but also graduates and local churches, giving present and future leaders good training and tools for ministry.
- For the French family, that they will be a good witness in their community. For their children that they will grow up to have a vibrant personal relationship with God.
||c/o Mission Department
2-10 Fisherwick Place
Belfast, BT1 6DW
To download a printable PDF of this bulletin or for a previous bulletin visit the Mission Reports listing at the top or the Global Mission monthly bulletin archive.