Colin and Marjorie Dickson previously served overseas in Israel through PCI from December 1997 to December 1999. Their secondment to the Churches Ministry amongst Jewish People (CMJ) in Haifa was both an exciting and challenging time. They gained tremendous experience in mission which in turn has greatly influenced their Christian lives and ministry to date.
Colin was ordained in December 2006, and he and Marjorie served the congregations of Cavanaleck and Aughentaine until December 2013.
While they experienced a fruitful ministry in Cavanaleck and Aughentaine, the Call to take the Gospel to the nations has never left them. Through 2013, they sensed a renewed Call to missionary service overseas. In response to this Call upon their lives Colin resigned from his Charge in December 2013 to undertake a two year period of further studies in preparation for future service. During this time, he completed an MTh in Leadership through Union Theological College and a TESOL CELTA course. During this two year period PCI asked Colin and Marjorie to convene the vacancy in Torre del Mar Evangelical Church, Malaga, Spain from January to July 2014 as it transitioned to new leadership.
On return they continued the process of application for overseas service and after completion of studies they received an invitation from JETS to join their Academic Department – Colin as Academic Coordinator and Lecturer in Practical Theology, and Marjorie as Academic Department Assistant: Librarian.
Colin and Marjorie travelled to Jordan in May 2016 and after a period of language study and orientation classes, they began working at JETS in August.
We were so thankful to God for the Christmas break. Although cold, it was a lovely opportunity to enjoy the Christmas services in the ‘forgotten Holy Land’, spend time with special friends, visit needy students and fit in an exhilarating trip to Cairo! We returned to JETS on 2 January rested and refreshed. The three weeks that followed were spent at JETS in quiet but busy preparation for the new term.
Monday 22 January heralded the beginning of the Spring Semester for the students. It was great to see them all again. We love the “buzz” of having the students around and Marjorie especially enjoys the interaction with human life rather than just simply the library books!
We have four new part-time students starting the Certificate in Biblical Studies course, four new students for the Masters in Biblical Studies course, along with four new students attending the online Distance Learning Programme. Considering students generally enrol in September every year, this is especially encouraging for JETS. Colin is delighted to be teaching Pastoral Theology to the Master of Divinity students this semester.
On 15 February we will travel across ‘the river’ to Jerusalem and Bethlehem for three days. We will visit Bethlehem Bible College to learn from them how they “train Arab leaders for the Arab world” in a challenging and sometimes unsettling environment. We will also meet with Rev. Danny Awad, a Palestinian Presbyterian minister and are looking forward to the opportunity to see his ministry.
We experienced some very heavy rain throughout January. On one occasion we had one month’s rainfall in 36 hours. This makes driving conditions even more difficult, especially as we often attend church services in three different locations in the week. Even if Colin is not always preaching, we love to worship with and encourage the local congregations.
- Thank God for our recent trip to Cairo and pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt.
- Thank God for the current and new students at JETS. Pray they will settle quickly and study well.
- Pray for Marjorie as she models the ‘Christian life’ to students who come to the library, and for Colin as he shares his pastoral experience with students on his course.
- Pray that our trip ‘across the river’ would go smoothly and provide new learning experiences for us both.
- Pray for safety on the roads as we drive around the city of Amman and beyond during the winter months.
General Prayer Points
- That Colin and Marjorie would continue to love God and love the people in the Middle East and that God would provide opportunities to share the gospel.
- For continued peace and stability within Jordan and along its borders.
- For continuing harmony and good relationships amongst faculty, staff and students at Jordan Evangelical Theological Seminary (JETS).
- That JETS would continue to strategically ‘train Arab leaders for the Arab world’.
- That Colin and Marjorie will be effective in their roles in JETS and that God would be glorified in all that they do.
- That Marjorie and Colin will adapt well to language learning, middle-eastern culture, extreme temperatures, different food and a new neighbourhood.
- For God’s blessing on their health and for spiritual protection for Colin and Marjorie, as well as on family at home.
To download a printable PDF of this bulletin or for a previous bulletin visit the Mission Reports listing at the top or the Global Mission monthly bulletin archive.