David and Pamela McCullagh were commissioned on 25th October 2013 for service with Scripture Union Malawi (SUM), and are based in the capital city, Lilongwe.
In his role as Ministry Co-Coordinator, David’s job entails regular field work, including training programmes for staff and voluntary workers. A key focus for David is to facilitate the continuing development of ministry materials such as booklets, videos, training materials/manuals for Bible studies, school booklets, Bible reading aids, brochures etc. He is also involved in promoting the work of SUM through speaking at different events, preaching and teaching in churches. In addition to this, he hopes to look at ways in which to develop sustainable local funding for SUM.
Pamela works as SUM's Resources Coordinator, leading the team that produces SUM Bible reading and study aids, as well as coordinating the training of Bible reading promoters from churches and SU groups. She also hopes to be able to help establish more Bible Study Groups in different locations, and provide training to leaders of these groups.
Follow their blog “Lilongwe Letters”
It’s hot and humid in Lilongwe as the rains and heat mix together. It’s great for the crops, but not so good for productivity as energy levels get zapped. We had spent a few weeks in Ireland over Christmas and after a few days of being back in Lilongwe, one by one, we all developed some kind of sickness or illness. As January ends we are thankfully over everything and are now looking forward to getting back into normal life again in February.
The main event happening with Scripture Union (SU) in January was that of training our Bible Reading promoters. These promoters are volunteers who go around churches throughout the year to encourage Christians to daily read their Bibles and pray. There were about 30 in attendance at the training in Lilongwe and already they have all visited churches each week. They will continue to carry out busy schedules until the end of March. David was supposed to facilitate the training, but due to his sickness he was unable to take part.
As February begins we will receive a team of four girls through the Tearfund gap year programme for six months. They will be involved in our schools work and take part in Bible reading promotions in secondary schools and colleges.
February will also be a month of meetings with Divisional Committees and the National Executive Council meeting over various weekends. We are also holding a staff meeting, where all our staff will travel to Lilongwe for a day of meetings, detailing new information for how SU Malawi will work this year. This will be the first staff meeting like this in a few years.
As we begin 2018 in earnest, our staff devotions each morning have been looking at Paul’s letter to the Philippians. In Philippians 1:27 we have been challenged about how we live our lives for Christ. Paul writes, ‘only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that...you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel’. This is a great challenge to us as a staff team as we endeavour to work well together for the gospel of Christ. Throughout this year we will be learning how to put this verse into practice as we work together in our various ministry activities.
- Pray with thanks for time to rest over the Christmas holidays for us and for the SU staff, and also that we have recovered from our sicknesses.
- Pray with thanks for the Bible Reading Promoters training and the good implementation of visits to churches. Pray that as these promoters travel around, God will use them to challenge and inspire Christians to read their Bibles daily.
- Pray for the team that is coming on 1 February. Pray that they will travel well and settle into life and work quickly.
- Pray for the various meetings that will take place over the coming month to plan and envision staff and volunteers for the work that is ahead.
General Prayer Points
- Pray for the work of Scripture Union Malawi as it partners with churches and schools in sharing the good news of Jesus.
- Pray for David's work in training and resourcing SUM staff and volunteers for schools work, camps and missions.
- Pray for Pam as she cares for Beth and Grace and supports David. Pray also for gospel opportunities she now has with groups and activities she now attends with Beth.
- Pray that David and Pam will progress well through language study and adjust to life in Malawi.
- Pray that God would lead David and Pam to a new church family where they can worship and serve in their local community.
- Pray for physical health and strength and spiritual growth.
To download a printable PDF of this bulletin or for a previous bulletin visit the Mission Reports listing at the top or the Global Mission monthly bulletin archive.