Independent Presbyterian Church of Brazil - or Igreja Presbiteriana Independente do Brasil (IPIB) came into existence in 1902 as the result of a division in the Presbyterian Church in Brazil (IPB).
Today, the two churches enjoy good relations and both are involved in the training of ministers and Christian workers for outreach in most parts of Brazil.
IPIB trains lay missionaries through its Missionary Training Institute (CTM), located in three centres: Cuiaba (West); Florianopolis (South); and Natal (Northeast).
James and Heather Cochrane served with IPIB from 1996 to 2003, initially in church-planting in Cruzeta, and then in Recife. Subsequently, they taught in the IPIB's Missionary Training Institute in Natal.
The Caiuá Mission (Caiuá Missão) commenced in 1928 as joint IPIB-IPB mission among the indigenous Indians of the Caiuá, Guarani, Terena and Xavante tribes, who live in villages mainly in the southern state of Mato Grosso do Sul.